Wednesday, February 23, 2011

‘Stop the presses’: I want to get on


QUITE a few of us regional editors had a round-robin invite to appear on last night’s Newsnight, billed as a ‘special segment on the future of print media’.
Judging by the content of the half-hour piece entitled ‘Stop the presses’ and the high-flying studio guests (Lords Rusbridger, Barber, Thompson and Barron) I wasn’t the only editor to give this a swerve.
There was, in fact, no mention whatsoever of the provincial press. Just a yawning trundle through what the Guardian and BBC do and don’t do and how the Digital Age spells the end of the civilised world as we know it.
Perhaps as an industry we don’t do ourselves any favours by not standing up to be counted in a discussion forum such as this. But I prefer to let my papers do the talking. Here’s a sneak peak at tomorrow’s Essex Chronicle (sorry, not quite finished!). Nearly 30,000 people will queue up with their 75p to buy our quality journalism, a paper put together by our dedicated, hard-working, innovative and creative team of mainly young journalists. And who wouldn’t buy this?
But I did learn a new word from Mr Paxman – ‘Disintermediated’. Answers on a postcard, please.

4 comments:

  1. That is something I have always believed in-letting your work talk for you. For years people have wanted me to get into social media, but I don't really have the time or ambition. I love what I do and it shows with my work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent blog! I truly love how it’s easy on my eyes as well as the info are well written. Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blog is Awesome. Keep posting such an interesting articles

    ReplyDelete